Old January 31st 10, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Yokel[_2_] Yokel[_2_] is offline

Default 'TfL's 'Scrooge-like' £1 ticket for short-cut criticised'

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
| On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:53:56 GMT, (Neil
| Williams) wrote:
|
|The only problem with them was that they were all right handed (for
obvious reasons) ...

The proportion of "lefty"s in the population is much higher than the
proportion of "disabled" people who have to be accommodated by law, so how
come we get no consideration? In fact we don't get any consideration
anywhere (except as below), so that must make us the last group you can
legally discriminate against or disregard. This may be related to the fact
that, according to the Church, even God is right-handed (which must raise
the question of whether a spiritual being has hands), and I could quote you
Bible verses and even hymn titles to back this.

Fortunately, most "lefty"s are more adaptable than most "righty"s - again
for obvious reasons - so we get by. But there are some severely left handed
people who can do little with the right hand and they must struggle with
ticket barriers and the like. And at my workplace we did until a couple of
years ago have a water heater over the sink with a tap fitted in such a
position that to use it with your left hand was to risk dislocating your
wrist.

I suppose the problem is that with these things there has to be a convention
or chaos results and so the majority are favoured. It is similar to the
Pony Club, where if you want to join in the games on horseback you have to
do them right-handed because most of the games involve exchanging items
between riders passing each other. I remember seeing one team lose in the
Pony Club games at the National Horse Show because one of their team members
was a "lefty" and was obviously struggling with the "exchanges".

Some do care - the Nationwide building society does (or did until recently)
have two pens for customer use at each position, so you could fill out your
form comfortably whichever hand you chose to use.
--
- Yokel -

"Yokel" posts via a spam-trap account which is not read.