Old February 5th 10, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Graeme[_2_] Graeme[_2_] is offline

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

In message
Colum Mylod wrote:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:29:08 +0000, Graeme
wrote: [snip Hansen "fine" lingo]
I'm currently trying to establish whether the Dutch Chipkart operates the
same way so that I can get one for use around Amsterdam and then retrieve
my deposit and any balance when I leave. And believe me it won't be the
last thing that occurrs to me when I get to Schipol.

If you register the card, it becomes "personal" and you can submit it with
a form to get a balance above EUR5 put on your bank account... oh dear,
that assumes an NL account. Minus 2.50 "administratekosten".

If it's not registered, aka "anonieme", no such luck. Mine's not (yet?)
registered. No, there's not a lot you can do in Schiphol Plaza to return
for refund. The NS would, unless I read ov-chipkaart.nl incorrectly, do
little on the spot.

[snip]

So no practical use for a tourist, are strippenkarts still valid on the
trams?

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/