Old February 5th 10, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 5:33*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
The problem is, of
course, that the blurb says an OEP must be obtained before travelling,
so it puts people who're trying to do the right thing in an awkward
position - but I'd have no qualms about travelling should an OEP not
be obtainable from my starting station (if there was a newsagents
directly next to the station then maybe, I might get one - but if I
wasn't buying anything else it'd feel a bit weird to go in there to
ask for a 'free' ticket, though I suppose along with people coming in
to check their Oyster PAYG balance and not buying anything it could be
said to be part of the quid-pro-quo when you agree to retail Oyster
products, given the number of people it does bring through the door).

Our local convenience store is an Oyster Stop, and I've frequently seen
people popping in to check their PAYG balance - sometimes they purchase
a top-up, but often they just check it and leave. As you say, it's
something that Oyster retailers have come to expect.

Yeah. It was easier when they still had the black or turquoise
machines that also printed tickets (Day Travelcards and the like), as
they had a customer facing display... [searches for image] ...like
this:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/resources/corp...ter-card-3.jpg

Now the new "Pearl" devices seem to plug into existing POS kit (unsure
of the details), and they don't have any customer facing display, so
the retailer does now have to verbally communicate to the the
(potential) customer what their balance/ pass expiry date is.

Out of devilment, I asked the shop owner if he'd heard of an OEP - "Oh
yes, bloody useless things" was the reply! But he says that he gets one
or two requests a day for them, even though he's not particularly near a
station.

Ha! I haven't asked my local shopkeepers about them yet, I'll do so if
there's a convenient moment. I guess those one or two people might be
setting out on a bus to get to a station. Or maybe they're just
testing the water!