Old February 7th 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default Why did Thameslink by-pass Crystal Palace?

On Feb 7, 12:01*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

24 TPH yes, attempting to serve most of the south coast and deepest
fenlands no.

If it wasn't for their marked reluctance to amend the future Thameslink
routes shown on the Thameslink programme website, we'd have a much better
picture of KO2.

Err yes, must admit I had just flicked to the TLP website only a week
or so ago and have not gone though the recent RUS to see what was
going on.

From the various RUSs, (and the Kent and Sussex published
last month are consistent with the earlier South London), attempting to
serve most of the south coast has been to all intents binned,

IMHO good.

Interestingly when the Brighton main line [or whatever it was called]
RUS came out a few years back - this being the one that formally
proposed the alternative ideas for dumping GEx as a wholly seperate
operation I did comment at the time that in some places it conflicted
with what was then still TL2000 and in other places where you would
have logically expected to have found reference to TL2000 there was
none at all.

but more
relevant to this thread, there are planned transfers of stopping services to
Thameslink yet to come, such as the 4 tph all stations on the Norwood Jn to
London Bridge route, which will be transferred from Southern. *I believe the
4 tph from Orpington is basically a stopping service as well.

cynic

I wonder in turn how much of that will involve less 12car trains and
more 8car trains. Or possibly 10car trains. If they are still
twiddling destinations then they'll have to twiddle stock totals and
less cars even if not less units is a way to cut costs.

The question left hanging seems to be what the balancing all stations
service will be on the north side...

I think we will need to await MML electrification slow/semi-fast
service patterns south of Leicester to understand that. This has come
up way after TLP plans but it would surprise me not if *part* of the
reasons for the suggested 20 vice 24 TPH through TL core has got
something to do with using those paths for MML/part MML semifasts. I
think I wrote something to this effect in uk.r not long ago can't seem
to find which thread now to read what the responses were.

--
Nick