Old February 11th 10, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:32:27 +0000 someone who may be Charles Ellson
wrote this:-

The fact that an "arms length" "agency" has got something wrong
tells me a number of things, mostly about "Next Steps".

You're dodging the issue that there is no single official way of
defining locations and areas.

I don't think so. The maladies of "arms length" "agencies" were
clear decades ago.

Is the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue
service "wrong" because there is no local authority of that name ?

Bad example. There was once a council of that name [1], but the word
also refers to the Clyde valley which is not that much smaller than
the former council. So that can be excused, though I'm not a great
fan of organisations that use the name.

I can't think of other areas where some government organisations
have clung to the old Regional Council name, unless on
gerrymandering it was the Regional Council which absorbed the
District Councils.

[1] and there was once a Kingdom of that name, so if land
registration people think it goes back to the days before modern
government then they should be using that name.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54