Old February 11th 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Dave is offline

Default New Google-ised bus mapping on the TfL website

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 05:54:36 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

I should add that whilst this might make me sounds like I have some
paranoiac fear of Google as Big Brother, I don't! (I'm posting via
Google Groups for a start!) However I do think one can have some
awareness and indeed legitimate wariness of how information you
provide on the internet can be quietly tied together so as to provide
a fuller picture about you as an individual. Anyway, point of all this
being that I'm just wondering whether TfL should be flagging up the
third party privacy issues that might arise from them Google Maps into
their website, especially on a mainstream high-trafficked 'customer
facing' part of it. And I suppose this this goes for any website that
incorporates Google Maps somehow - not just TfL.

AFAICS there's no mention of Google in the TfL website 'small print'
he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/11466.aspx

Of course I might have it all wrong - though a quick test shows
visiting the above TfL bus map page does place a Google cookie (in
addition to to a TfL cookie) in a browser's cache.

Additionally one might well think this doesn't matter and isn't an
issue, which is fair enough - I kinda half wonder whether it's really
something that's worth being bothered about too!

I noticed this. I find it completly useless and I've emailed tfl and
told them what I think of it.
Unless I'm missing something if you want to go from A to B which
involves a change of buses, the maps only show one route. If you enter
the A and B details, then it finds routes using NR and underground.

Still waiting for a reply!

Dave