Old February 12th 10, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Batman55 Batman55 is offline

Default "Thousands use Oyster incorrectly on London trains"

"Mizter T" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 4:51 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
Mizter T writes

It might well be helpful if the standalone readers at NR stations (the
ones in stainless steel boxes) had those bright yellow vinyls applied
as is the case at some DLR stations

All of the ones I've seen on SWT have yellow vinyl, like this one at
Fulwell:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vicchi/4244150750/

No, sorry, that's not what I meant - pretty much all the standalone
readers have the requisite yellow pad, unless someone's ripped it off
(though the yellow is more commonly lacking on gates).

What I was referring to is yellow 'flashes' on the actual stainless
steel box constructions that contain them (which I recall Mr Thant
describing as looking like a school metalworks project!). I've tried
and failed to find a photo to illustrate what I mean, but they are
'decorated' in this manner at some DLR stations, the idea being to
draw passengers' attention towards them.

I've always assumed that Oyster readers are painted grey and hidden in dark
corners for the precise purpose of ensuring people forget to tap in/out.
Tramlink are very fond of placing them at right angles to the movement of
passengers so they become almost invisible.

Given their importance to so many, they should of course be bright
yellow/orange, larger and placed so you virtually trip over them.

MaxB