Old January 10th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Old tube map

CharlesPottins wrote:
I've an old A-Z someone gave me, interesting to checking out changes
to streets and whether my memory is right, but I've also recently
looked at the tube map in it, different in the way some lines are
drawn but also with some differences in content.
I recognised the old South Acton spur, and Trafalgar Square, and what
is now the Heathrow section of the Picadilly Line then stopped at
Hounslow West. Some other bits were less familiar, and as the map is
only black-and-white, its not clear whether they were all tube lines.
I think I remember the Bakerloo Line doubling with BR as far as
Watford Junction, but did the Met through Amersham continue as far as
Aylesbury? Another interesting bit is between Old Street and Finsbury
Park, with stations shown at Essex Road, Highbury and Islington and
Drayton Park.
Anybody have more info on these? And as the A-Z does not have a date
of publication, could anyone make a rough stab

One way to date the map that you have is to compare it with the maps at The
London Tube Map Archive at http://www.sitehouse.net/cdl/maps.html.

The Met went as far as Aylesbury until 1961.

For the history of the line from Moorgate to Finsbury Park, originally the
Great Northern and City Railway, see
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html#GNCR in Clive Feather's site.
--
Richard J.