Old February 14th 10, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alex Ingram Alex Ingram is offline

Default What's the purpose of Oyster?

Paul Cummins wrote:
I've been thinking abot the Oyster card. I can see some of the major
benefits, lack of moving parts, no damage to ticket etc.

But I wonder if the primary reason for Oyster was to prevent dumbelling?

I don't know what you mean by dumbelling but I suspect a key driver was
the huge and worrying market driven by somewhat worrying characters past
the gates in the resale of one day travelcards.

I don't know if it was similarly considered but the absolute ease of
using an oystercard to board a night bus when somewhat inebriated is a
big selling point as well.