Old February 15th 10, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default OTish. London visit.

In message of Mon, 15 Feb
2010 08:51:46 in uk.transport.london, A.Lee writes
Hello all, I'll be making a trip to the Whitechapel Gallery on Saturday.
We'll be taking the Tube from St.P to Whitechapel (got one day
Travelcards).

I would use Oyster PAYG for this - assuming you take no more than 2
public transport journeys. YMMV. I infer "Whitechapel Gallery" is what
Journey Planner at http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQU
EST2?language=en calls "Whitechapel Art Gallery". Ignore the quirk that
it wants you to disambiguate 2 entries which are the same. It seems
impossible to get beyond LU CSC (Customer Service Centre) to get this
fixed. You want the first carriage of the H&C train from KXX to Aldgate
East (ALE).

Afterwards, we'll be having a walk around, a few things on the list -
Smithfield, Borough market, Globe Theatre, Lincoln and Grays Inn.

From the map, all of these look pretty walk-able from Whitechapel. Is
that so in real life?

That depends on your criteria. I would estimate 30 minutes for many of
these walks. The gallery is a few steps via Osborn Street to Brick Lane
where you can get a curry in this Bengali/Sylheti area.

Also, anything else in the eastern half of London that we should visit?

Go a bit further to Gants Hill; the routeway is rather splendid.
If you walk on the south bank Thames Path between Tower and Millenium
bridges, you will pass City Hall, a Golden Hind replica which starred in
the "Shogun" TV series, Clink Prison, a whisky shop, an avoidable pub
before arriving at Tate Modern and the Millenium Bridge. There, view St.
Pauls across the river. I would take a District line penultimate
carriage from ALE to Tower Hill, walk down to the river, along the
cobbles by the Tower and over the bridge.
--
Walter Briscoe