Old February 16th 10, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Petrov[_2_] Martin Petrov[_2_] is offline

Default GOBLIN user group on new timetable

Out of interest, what is it that's restricting the GOBLIN to 2 car
operation?

I live in Leyton and get the train every so often between here and
Crouch Hill (and would have used it much more often since moving here,
but for the weekend closures....) and most if not all of the
intermediate stations could easily deal with longer trains?

(Apologies if this is a well-worn question)

It is a well-worn question but I have yet to see a well worn answer. The
main sticking point is South Tottenham. This is because there are
junctions very close to the platform ends and then there is the bridge
over Tottenham High Road. I think it is the westbound platform that is
the most problematic. I have seen comments that suggest it is impossible
to extend the platforms while others have suggested some form of
extension might be possible but you'd still need selective door
operation. While other platforms look "extendable" I'd have to wonder
about their condition - this line has been on "economy rations" for a
very, very long time and I doubt much if anything has been spend on
structures.

I see that a link to some old photos is in another post. They're very
revealing about how complex and busy this line used to be. Other shots
on the site show Queens Rd and Blackhorse Road goods yards - a strange
concept when you consider there's nothing there today. It also clearly
shows that South Tottenham was quite a nice little station with rather
longer platforms. I must admit I can't quite match the photos to today's
reality but at some point I will have to go and have a look and take
some photos.

I'm less concerned about train extensions than someone deciding whether
the line will be electrified or not. The apparent spat between the DfT
and TfL over funding of a study - £200K is the sum of money under
contention AIUI - does no one any favours. Electrification is the most
logical piece of investment coupled with works to get rid of the
decaying bridges and embankments which keep causing speed restrictions.
The way things are going the line will end in a state of "being worked
on" for the next ten years - we've had two or three batches of this
approach and it does nothing for the service. If the line is worthy of
a proper upgrade then please just do it once rather than 3,4 or 5 times
over.

Thanks for that (you and others) - yes, the platforms at Leyton beyond
the current 2 car length are definitely in a pretty messy state, and
would need a bit more work.

It is a very strange line though (at least to me) as it appears to go
nowhere from nowhere, and has so few direct interchanges - but it is a
godsend if you are travelling around North London as it can be so much
quicker than travelling in and out. It's just when it's every 30 minutes
in the evening that prevents me using it that bit more often. A proper
upgrade would be terrific.