Old February 21st 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default LM penalty fares scheme: New Oyster Bizarrity

On Feb 21, 3:33*pm, Roy Badami wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
Technically speaking touching in even when using an Oyster card loaded
with a Travelcard that covers all the required zones is a requirement
when using NR. See the "Oyster Conditions of Use on National rail
services" (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-of-carriage-...

---quote---
3.6 When you use a National Rail service, you should touch your Oyster
card on the yellow card
reader before you start your journey, at the station you are leaving
from; and at the end of your
journey, when you arrive at your destinations station. You can still
use your Oyster card at
stations where there is no yellow card reader or if it is not working
provided that your
Travelcard is valid for the journey you are making. You may be asked
instead to show your
Oyster card (and photocard where needed).

And for those who are quibbling about 'should' rather than 'must' in the
above, I just found the following in the new TfL Conditions of Carriage:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...f-carriage.pdf

Of course, this reads differently to the text in the Oyster Conditions
of Carriage on National Rail, valid from the same date.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ional-rail.pdf

where the wording is should.

I doubt that could be a successful attempt to enforce one in
preference to the other. Indeed, if travelling on National Rail, why
would a user even have to worry about the Conditions of Carriage for
TfL.