Old January 11th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Oyster and pre pay

In message , Neil
Williams writes
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:47:04 +0000, Kat wrote:

I don't think that's exactly what you meant though.

I think the OP may have been referring to a Direct Debit billing scheme,
with payment after use. As yet there is no such thing - but I wouldn't
rule it out in the future - though there may be implementation
difficulties as the 'key' information (credit, journeys) is AIUI stored on
the card rather than centrally.

Oh, I see.
But that wouldn't be much use to someone using the system for a short
time. Do you know if there's a transport system anywhere that uses such
for its ticketing?
The only similar thing I can think of is the system used on the Express
Toll Route in Toronto (and elsewhere, no doubt) where the licence plate
is recognised, trips logged and you are billed once a month.
(And it's cheaper if you lease a transponder)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.