Old February 22nd 10, 11:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default LM penalty fares scheme: New Oyster Bizarrity

On Feb 22, 12:28*pm, David Hansen
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:07:18 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Mizter T
wrote this:-

The system is complex (although the way it functions is not actually
really that complicated), and I suspect from David's comments that he
doesn't have a full appreciation of how it all fits together

How it all fits together is irrelevant to the logic which, from the
point of view of the passenger, is as I described.

Presumably that is why, in this or another thread, someone has
mentioned how few people jump through the hoops they are supposed to
jump through in order to use this gadget on some trains, but not
others. Some may decide that they are all trying to cheat the
railways out of money, but I imagine that only a small proportion
are trying to do this and most are simply doing what has become
natural for them to do.

It's not about this being a (notional) requirement for "some trains" -
it's not about any specific trains or routes having a special
requirement, it's about what a passenger who holds a zonal season
ticket (a Travelcard) is supposed to do when they are starting from
somewhere where their season ticket is valid, but then travelling out
of the area covered by that season ticket to a destination that's
nonetheless within the PAYG-area (which is the London Fare zones plus
Watford Junction and some c2c stations to the east of London). In such
cases a passenger supposedly has to get an OEP before they start their
journey.

Therefore the rail routes to which this supposed requirement applies
are entirely dependent on what zones are covered by any one individual
passenger's season Travelcard.

And no, I'm not defending it, it's all rather daft and will I think
fall flat in its arse before too long.