Old February 22nd 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default LM penalty fares scheme: New Oyster Bizarrity

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 05:57:35 -0800 (PST)
Mizter T wrote:
Touch-out is basically a requirement if there are to be differential
fares - a flat fare (or at least there only being a single fare for
journeys starting from any station) would negate the need for touch-
out, but it seems like a rather unlikely thing to happen. If it did

Probably is unlikely , though given there's flat fares on the buses now the
arguments against it not working on the underground seem a bit forced.

would also need a lot more subsidy in order to make it workable. It
would also have the potential to radically shift journey patterns and
demand in quite a big way.

Maybe, but I doubt many people use the tube for short journeys (say 1 or 2
stops) anyway so even if it did discourage short journeys I doubt it would
have much impact on revenue. But if longer journeys became cheaper especially
at weekends LU could well find it ends up earning more through a flat fare
scheme.

B2003