Old February 22nd 10, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default New motorway opened in Cricklewood

On Feb 22, 8:48*pm, "David Morgan" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message news:89a438ee-2049-
"LB Ca/\md/\en"
Oh, something I forgot to add in my first long and burbling reply -
I've failed to decipher the above...

speed bumps?

Aha, yes, I see!

Incidentally, the OP's allusion to the M1 continuing south through
Cricklewood hugging the railway was not lost on this reader. I'm glad
the 'London Motorway box' largely remained on the drawing board, but
there are certainly those who would advance its case even today - or
more to the point bemoan the fact it never happened back then. It
certainly makes for an interesting "what if".

A 1960's mock-up of the prospective junction at West Hampstead between
the bottom of the M1 and the unbuilt North Cross Route can be seen on
this webpage (part of a whole set of interesting "histories" about
radical and largely defunct London road plans, the "Ringways"):
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/ring...y1/north.shtml