Old February 24th 10, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default New Google-ised bus mapping on the TfL website

On 11 Feb, 19:28, Neil Williams wrote:
On Feb 11, 5:37*pm, "Graham Harrison"

wrote:
I like the Nextbus implementation for San Francisco.

I like the semi-diagrammatic maps with route colours that are common
in the regions. *London is big and complicated, of course, but
something like that would still be possible, if expensive.

The biggest downside of the Google implementation is that it only
shows one route, though. *Why not several at once?

Neil

I didn't realise during this discussion that these Google maps are ALL
there is. So there is no way of seeing a map of an area showing where
the buses go.

Spider maps are not much use for this, and don't show routes that
start just down the road from your chosen location.

Totally f*cking useless. Appalling. Words fail me. Not in all the
days since the NRE site was "improved" have I seen technology so
hopeless and obviously untested.

I wanted to check on all the routes that go roughly between two
places. I can't. I have to specify a route, which I obviously don't
know or I wouldn't be looking for a map, and I can only see one route
at a time. And why does it select a route at random to show when you
specify a location?

Does this mean that the paper maps, of which one used to be able to
view a PDF, will no longer be issued either?

Oh, and the mould on the turd is that the labelling seems to be
wrong. I put in SE18. It gave me a map with an arrow pointing at the
centre of Woolwich, which was labelled as Eltham.