Old February 26th 10, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Crap high streets

On 26 Feb, 11:09, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 26, 5:21*am, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
There are a few high streets which are rather underwhelming, such as Lambeth
High Street and Stepney High Street. Is that Adolf's handiwork?

My understanding is essentially yes, that's the reason. With regards
to say Lambeth, how I've heard it described is that the whole district
basically had its soul bombed out during the war, and what exists now
is the result of this and the subsequent sometimes somewhat misguided
postwar redevelopment efforts.

Peckham High Street meanwhile is misleadingly named, as the main
shopping street in Peckham is in fact Rye Lane (which Peckham Rye
station fronts onto).

Battersea High Street is an interesting one - largely residential for
most of its length, but with the shops on the southern end, well
mainly restaurants now. I saw London Reconnections did a piece
recently on proposals to reopen Battersea High Street station [1],
which was on the WLL where it crossed the road - I say reopen, but
there's nothing left of it so it'd basically be a completely new
station. It'd be a welcome addition no doubt, but it's hard to see it
ever becoming a priority (and unlike Imperial Wharf there's no
developers around to pay for it).

Greenwich High Road is certainly not very whelming, and contains
almost nothing of what makes Greenwich interesting.