Old February 26th 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default DLR 3 car trains

In message
, at
11:13:46 on Thu, 25 Feb 2010, MIG
remarked:
I got another one this evening; pretty sure it was a different unit
and again the internal displays not working.

I went to South Quay (and back) today. A few observations:

At Bank there was a handwritten sign saying something like "use the
whole length of the platform". Which is fine, but when a 2-car train
arrives, what use am I supposed to be putting the remaining 1/3 to?

On the way out saw no new trains.

The old one I was on, lurched a lot. For example, we crawled towards
Heron Quays and as the front of the train reached the platform it
accelerated quite hard, then immediately started braking. Throughout, it
seemed to be regularly hitting some kind of 'speed limiter',
accelerating then suddenly cutting power.

When I got to South Quay I went downstairs at the west end of the
station and turned east (towards the water). Touched out, then found
myself in a dead end. Had to go back some way, then climb over a large
"kerbside" to get onto the road.

On the way back caught a new 3-car train. Saw several other new trains,
all 2-car. When going down the tunnels to Bank station, once again there
was quite a bit of "hunting" in the drive system. Appeared not to be
able to make its mind up between braking, coasting and even perhaps
applying power. Is the braking regen?