Old February 28th 10, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham J[_2_] Graham J[_2_] is offline

Default Oyster a real time waster

The online journey history can sometimes takes several days to update,
and is also sometimes missing entries (and indeed exits). No idea why
this is the case.

The other day I made a journey of bus, NR (£2.00), NR (£2.00) and bus again
and was capped at £5.10 as it should have been. When I checked the online
journey history a little later that day the balance had dropped by £7.50
(consistent with a £1.20 bus, £2.00 NR and £4.30 NR entry) before correcting
to the £5.10 drop a couple of hours later. So clearly the online system was
updating reasonably quickly with the correct balance and yet none of my
journeys had appeared in the journey history at that stage (first to appear
was actually the first NR exit which of course shows as a £2.30 refund to an
as yet unseen deduction). My last two bus journeys from nine days ago still
haven't appeared and yet again the balance perfectly correct. It seems
curious that the online system always seems to know the correct balance to
within a few hours and yet seems ignorant of the journeys behind it.

The online journey history is still infuriating in the way it displays
transactions. I can appreciate that the source information probably does
only contain date and time, location, amount deducted/refunded and balance.
That's fine, but why on earth differentiate between a deduction and a refund
with a '-' above the deduction? What is wrong with with writing
e.g. -£4.30? Better still use separate columns and, horror of horrors, what
about using colour? What about using icons to distinguish between tube, NR,
bus, DLR and tram? Is this really asking so much?

Also at the moment the 'Price cap' column doesn't seem to be indicating
anything as it used to.

G.