Old March 1st 10, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Intercity seat reservation only - is it possible at E. Croydon?

"Hobbyist" wrote in message
I recently bought an Intercity open return ticket via the Southern
rail website. The outward journey is on 23rd May, 10am, Kings Cross to
Newcastle. I also asked for seat reservations. The website said an
outward one only was available and asked whether I wanted "facing"
etc., etc.

How recently was this? Until yesterday, that journey was outside the normal
12 week booking horizon - as engineering work can cause a service to be
cancelled, they aren't normally bookable.

When the tickets arrived in the post, there was nothing for the
reservation. When I emailed, they said there PROBABLY hadn't been an
available seat (so why did their website offer me one?). They couldn't
reserve one for me, and my only option was to visit a travel centre.
Well, the whole point of using their website was so I could do
everything at home, so I won't be using *them* again.
I live in Croydon and wonder, does anyone know whether the ticket
office at E. Croydon will be able to reserve me a seat on that day for
a fee, if one is available and I take my tickets? I don't want to
queue up and find out it's not possible.

Yes they should be able to from today onwards - which should sort out your
more recent question in uk.railway as well...

Paul S