Old March 1st 10, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster a real time waster

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 01:16:36PM +0000, Martin Petrov wrote:

In reality, I've never actually NOTICED that the technology has been the
source of the problem, most of the time it's been my mistake ...

A system that makes it easy to make expensive mistakes when they could
easily be "designed out" is faulty by design.

For example, a web site where you hit the "pay" button, and nothing
appears to happen, so you hit it again, and get billed twice, is faulty.
Or a ticketing system that has arcane rules about when you need to touch
in (and then makes it hard to find the necessary equipment) is faulty.
That the Oyster rules are arcane and weird is obvious, you just need to
look at the questions that get asked about it here. It therefore follows
that the design is faulty.

Yes, I know, the faults (well, some of them at any rate) are down to the
TOCs being sulky, but that doesn't stop them from being design faults.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig