Old March 1st 10, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Taxi insurance for multiple people?

On 1 Mar, 13:44, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:03:30PM -0000, Basil Jet wrote:
Taxis need to be hailable on red routes - without that, London would become,
in tourists' eyes, the only city in the world where the taxis would always
sail past and never pick you up. The huge number of one-way roads and banned
turns mean that a taxi pulling around a corner from a red route to pick
someone up might be putting the fare up by a fiver - it would significantly
reducing the capacity of the fleet to carry people home at busy times. Taxis
setting down on red routes is harder to justify.

Surely it can be justified on exactly the same grounds - without that,
London would become, in tourists' eyes, the only city in the world where
when you tell a taxi driver to take you to the Hotel De Posh he drops
you a hundred metres down the road for no good reason.

Since minicabs are only supposed to perform pre-booked journeys, I see
little justification for allowing them to pick up on red routes

because people want to be picked up from the Hotel De Posh, perhaps?

Last time I used the Hotel de Posh, it had it's own driveway where
they could pull in.