Old March 2nd 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kevin Ayton Kevin Ayton is offline

Default Intercity seat reservation only - is it possible at E. Croydon?

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
news
Peter Smyth wrote:
In the early days of VXC they used to serve Paddington. Did any of these
trains ever go to York?

Until recently they also served London (Kensington Olympia). I think most
of those trains went to the North West, though maybe some went to York.

Theo

Back in 1988, I took a 2-week All Line Rover, and my first journey (other
than getting into London) was a train from Paddington to York - left at
09:17 on a Saturday morning, and arrived in York at 14:54. When I did it we
had a rake of vacuum-braked NSE-liveried stock hauled by 47489.

When I planned my trip I went in tot he booking office at Waterloo to buy
the Rover and make some reservations. The clerk there didn't believe me when
I had this leg from Paddington to York - "they go from Kings Cross" she
said. I finally convinced her to try it. She was quite surprised when it
came up!

Kevin