Old March 2nd 10, 10:12 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Chiltern Chairman Challenge Evergreen 4 - send your suggestions to Captain Deltic!

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote

I was also asking about the capacity of the tracks approaching
Marylebone. While DD trains can add capacity without needing to change
signaling there comes a point when (if traffic continues to grow) more
trains are required. How close are the tracks into Marylebone to capacity
given existing signaling etc?

There are 17 arrivals at Marylebone in the peak hour (0757 - 0857). Six
platforms could handle more than this - Charing Cross has around 28
arrivals in the peak hour, also in six platforms. While the disused
tunnels from Canfield Place could potentially provide additional capacity
I don't think it would be feasible to provide additional tracks between
Neasden South Junction and Canfield Place, so 20 arrivals is perhaps the
maximum practicable capacity. However, with platform lengthening at
stations along the Chiltern Line (some of which is planned or in hand)
most trains could be lengthened - five of the six platforms can take 8
coach trains, though alterations would be needed to get the remaining
platform beyond 5 coaches.

Peter

So we can grow the number of trains a little and the size of some of the
trains a little. Thank you. To me that suggests we either have to find
somewhere else to expand to; Paddington has been suggested or Evergreen 4
has to be something that is not London centric. I've made a London Centric
suggestion so here's a non London (but still arguably South East) centric
suggestion - focus on the Oxford/Bletchley route.

I don't claim to know enough about Birmingham but how about some
enhancements there?