Old January 11th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Do you live above a tube tunnel?

james007 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail
tunnels are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their
homes when the trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives
or works directly above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel?
If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

Staying overnight in a house in Southgate, some way from the
underground section of the tunnel (which runs under playing fields of
the local college), it is still possible to hear the trains rumble
through if you listen carefully enough late evening or early morning.

Given the location of the house, which was nearly on the High Street,
this is quite surprising.

You're probably only about 500 metres from one of the open sections of line
either side of the Southgate tunnel, in which case it's not surprising that
you can hear trains. That seems to me a more likely explanation than
ground-borne noise from the tunnel.

--
Richard J.