Old March 4th 10, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Garius Garius is offline

Default ELL 'architecture'

On Mar 3, 8:51*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Garius wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm a self-confessed fan of Green's stations, with
Holloway Road arguably my favourite station on the whole network

I would love to hear more about why. I commuted through it for two years,
and it never struck me as anything but unexceptional. Apart from the
abandoned spiral escalator, of course.

It's probably (in my opinion at least) the closest thing remaining to
an original Green station, with more original fixtures and fittings
still in situ than anywhere else on the network. Even that little box
containing the firehouse by the entrance is original (if moved).

Its a beautiful station beneath the dirt and dust - both inside and
out - but I like the fact that its also a working station. That and
the grime makes it more authentic in some way and seems a fitting
tribute to Green's work

Porbably helps that Holloway Road itself is one of my favourite places
in London as well though - it has beer, darts and Arsenal. What more
does a man need?