Old March 5th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gold card discounts on Oyster PAYG - coming soon.

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Mar 3, 12:03*pm, wrote:

(martin) wrote:

On Mar 3, 12:41*am, Mizter T wrote:

It's worth noting the Network Railcard-discounted inboundary
Travelcard - i.e. zones 1-6 - still costs £5.00 this year, which
is now cheaper than all the off-peak Day Travelcard and Oyster
PAYG caps (for they are now at the same level), i.e. including
the zones 2-6 cap which is now £5.10.

Cheaper too than two PAYG z1-3 tube journeys. Though you'd have to
do a lot of weekend travelling before it started paying for itself
(a Network Railcard costing £25).

Actually, given that I work every second weekend, and try not to be
a hermit on the other weekends, I probably would just about come out
ahead. Given that I'd be too lazy to queue up at a ticket office
every time, £5 weekend caps would be quite nice, really. Ah well,
ain't gonna happen.

OTOH, if you live in Cambridge, you only need to make four day trips
to London Terminals in a year and you're quid's in. You save at least
£6.80 a trip at current prices so it only needed three trips before
the Network Card price increase last May.

I persuaded a voluntary body I'm on to pay for mine one year on the
basis that it would cost them less overall in my expenses claims.

Presumably the £5 Travelcard doesn't work so well with the Senior
Railcard price caps?

It's not clear quite what you mean by the above. The off-peak Railcard
Oyster PAYG cap for zones 1&2 is £3.70, for zones 1-4 is £4.15, and
for zones 1-6 is £5.00 (as it tallies with the Railcard-discounted
inboundary Day Travelcard price).

Obviously this doesn't apply to Network Railcards (nor F&F Railcards),
but does apply to Senior, 16-25, Forces and Disabled Railcards.

The discounted capping levels are listed he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

You make my point. Railcard holders whose cards are recognised by Oyster
can get lower caps. That means that a £5 travelcard is less likely to be
their best option.

--
Colin Rosenstiel