Old July 13th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Dave is offline

Default Chancery Lane

Matthew Malthouse writes
} How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
}
} Nowhere flippin near it

177 meters from it.

But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane rather than
Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?

The current entrance to Chancery Lane is not the station's original
entrance - it was re-sited when escalators were installed back in the
1930s. As I'm sure you can appreciate, lifts go directly up and down
and escalators don't - so a new entrance might have to be situated quite
some distance away from the original. This was done more recently at
Angel, where the new entrance is about 100m away from the old entrance.

When escalators were installed at Green Park and Hyde Park Corner (also
in the 1930s), the station entrances were moved closer together - so
close that they were able to close Down Street station (which was
between the two) altogether.

--
Dave