Old March 9th 10, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster travelcard oddity

On Mar 9, 12:53*am, wrote:

(Roland Perry) wrote:
Indeed. What's required is a better paradigm for loading an OEP on
your Oyster-travelcard. For example, machines in Central London at
places where people start their journeys to the suburbs marked:

"Travelling beyond your Oyster travelcard zones today? Then touch here"..

In the case that started this thread the OP needed to load an OEP at
Clapham Junction. He would have to find a ticket stop with few clues while
standing at the station.

There is actually an Oyster ticket stop aka newsagent in the atrium of
the shopping centre/ ticket hall at Clapham Junction station - a
comment in a some TfL Board papers said it was the busiest Ticket Stop
out there, which isn't surprising given that SWT don't offer any top-
up facilities at their ticket windows or ticket machines.

That's not to say it isn't absurd that TOCs supposedly insist on this
OEP requirement and then don't provide any facilities themselves for
obtaining one. Anyhow as I've already said I wouldn't get too fussed
about the whole OEP thing - I'd only bother with it if OEPs are
actually available from the ticket machines or ticket office at the
starting station (e.g. Southern TVMs offer them). Not sure if,
arriving at London Bridge mainline station, I'd bother to traipse all
the way down to the Underground station just to obtain an OEP because
they're no available in the mainline station.