Old March 9th 10, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Fardell Tim Fardell is offline

Default Splat Nav

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Richard J. wrote:

Basil Jet wrote on 08 March
2010 03:57:35 ...
About a year ago, I broke down in the petrol station in Southwark Bridge
Road and phoned the RAC. The guy took several hours getting to me and told
me that he had gone to "the other Southwark Bridge Road in Bermondsey" and
when he couldn't find me, cancelled the job and went on to do someone else.
I said "I think you mean Southwark Park Road" but he said no, it was the
other Southwark Bridge Road. Wanting his help, I didn't argue and forgot
about it. Tonight I was driving up Jamaica Road and noticed my Tomtom said I
was in Southwark Bridge Road! The same data is used in Google Maps... you'd
think they would have debugged all the main roads by now.

I've just reported that glitch to Tele Atlas who are the map provider
for this area of Google Maps. I don't have much confidence that
anything will happen though. I've been trying to get them to show
Chiswick High Road correctly (it calls it King Street for more than half
a mile beyond the actual end of King Street) and to remove the absurd
extension of Acton Green/Chiswick Common into all the residential
streets to the east of it. I've also complained about the omission of
the (above ground) District and Piccadilly lines in the area. But none
of them have progressed beyond the "we have received your report" stage.
In the case of the King Street error, despite giving precise latitude
and longitude of both ends of the incorrectly labelled road, I was told
that "your report either lacked necessary data or described an imprecise
geographic location".

I also tried to get TfL to take an interest as they use Google maps, but
I got a "not us guv" response.

Could these "errors" be the deliberate ones the cartographers insert to
detect copyright infrigement?

A road 100 yards from my home is mis-spelled on the Garmin maps, and the
error has been perpetuated through several new map releases, despite the
numerous times I have reported the error.