Old March 9th 10, 05:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default BAA & HEX/CONnect Cash In On Tube Line Closure

On Mar 9, 5:07*pm, wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:42:57 +0000
Ivor The Engine wrote:

[1] Train to airport = 5 minute walk to station, £8 - £20 return,
takes just over an hour
Taxi to airport = no walk, £100+ return, takes just over an hour if
the M6 and M60 aren't busy[2].

If train works for you then fine but last time I flew I had to go to
gatwick - and i live in north london:

PT - 10 min walk to tube.

Nice stretch of the legs before lots of travelling. (That should wind
you up nicely!)

Probably 10 min wait for tube.

Hmm - I know you hate the Piccadilly line but that's unrealistic most
of the time (cue tirade of how bad the Picc service is).

Hopefully only 40 mins to victoria but who knows.

Half hour journey time from Arnos Grove if all the lines are in
operation (easy interchange at Finsbury Park for the Victoria line) -
I dunno the station you're starting from though.

Wait 10 mins to buy ticket at victoria +
probably 10 to 15 min to wait for train which takes about 30 mins so say 1.45
though I've never done it in less than 2.

No need to wait at Victoria as you can buy Gatwick Express tickets on
the train. There are also dedicated GatEx ticket machines and a ticket
window at the buffer end of the GatEx platforms.

So if you get your skates on you might do it in 1:15 to 1:30 hours.

And if you're going on a w/e then half the tube will be closed for catch up
engineering work so add on 20 mins.

Oh , and if you just manage to catch the train to gatwick as its about to
leave good luck on finding a seat.

Get stuffed Boltar, this proves your rhetoric is simply divorced from
reality. The Gatwick Express has loads of seats most of the time. Even
if you're travelling on the slightly slower but cheaper Southern
service, then in all likelihood be able to get a seat. The only time
you might be pressed to do so is during the evening rush hour (though
I think the extended GatEx services might be ok for seats).

Taxi - 10 second walk to taxi. Journey outside rush hour takes about 80 mins.
Less on weekends. Nice and comfy, no hassle.