Old March 9th 10, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Steve M Steve M is offline

Default BAA & HEX/CONnect Cash In On Tube Line Closure

d wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:42:57 +0000
Ivor The Engine wrote:
[1] Train to airport = 5 minute walk to station, £8 - £20 return,
takes just over an hour
Taxi to airport = no walk, £100+ return, takes just over an hour if
the M6 and M60 aren't busy[2].

If train works for you then fine but last time I flew I had to go to
gatwick - and i live in north london:

Oh cool, I live in North London as well.

PT - 10 min walk to tube. Probably 10 min wait for tube. Hopefully only 40
mins to victoria but who knows. Wait 10 mins to buy ticket at victoria +
probably 10 to 15 min to wait for train which takes about 30 mins so say 1.45
though I've never done it in less than 2.

PT - 3 min walk to Tube (yes, OK, I'm luckier than most). Probably 2 min
wait for the train (usually less). 40 mins to Victoria, as it is 98% of
the time when I make that journey to work. Wait 2 mins to buy or collect
ticket at Victoria (usually a £3 Advance). Board train, which leaves
soon, since I've timed my journey on the Tube to catch it. 30 mins to
Gatwick in the front coach with a nice seat at a table.

And if you're going on a w/e then half the tube will be closed for catch up
engineering work so add on 20 mins.

Nah, not half. Sorry. Wrong. Some, yes, but you are supposed to check
before you travel and allow for that.

Oh , and if you just manage to catch the train to gatwick as its about to
leave good luck on finding a seat.

Mmmm, yes, we caught the 16:47 ex-Victoria a couple of weeks ago and
there were still seats until departure.

Taxi - 10 second walk to taxi. Journey outside rush hour takes about 80 mins.
Less on weekends. Nice and comfy, no hassle.

Taxi... wait for it to turn up, sit there for a bit, panic when you get
stuck in a traffic jam, get to the airport in the same time as the
train, pay through the nose.

You must have more money than sense.

B2003

Cheers