Old March 10th 10, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster travelcard oddity

On Mar 9, 6:21*pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

And if the level of publicity about OEPs at stations served by
SWT is similar to National Express ones, how is the layperson
going to hear about OEPs?

Every SWT station got the "Oyster PAYG on NR" leaflet on its
rack which has OEP information (just like the LU leaflet with the
same title).

I can't say the leaflets leapt out at me when I was last at Waterloo
or Ewell West, to take two extreme cases. And it's all very well
being buried in a leaflet but are there any posters up around ticket
offices that actually try to grab passengers' attention?

Given the publicity about the extension of PAYG, looking for a leaflet
or at a website seems a reasonable thing for a "layperson" to do.

Hmm... a layperson is going to think 'great - I can *finally* use
Oyster PAYG on NR, so now combining a Travelcard and PAYG will be nice
and easy just like it is on the Tube'.

At Waterloo the racks are in the middle of the concourse, next to the
racks with pocket timetables for all SWT and Waterloo East services. I
also noted them at Walton-on-Thames and Barnes Bridge in the racks that
hold the leaflets for Network and other railcards.

Posters are currently being used for publicity for the Super Off-Peak
evening restrictions that were also introduced in January. It would be
difficult to conduct two at once and reasonable to stick to leaflets
except possibly at Richmond and Wimbledon.

But why are these posters being given such prominence at stations
within the London zones - the evening restrictions irrelevant to any
pax setting out on their outbound journey at those stations (e.g.
there's no Super Off-Peak fares or Travelcards for journeys from
London stations into Waterloo, because all rail fares in London are
uniform across all TOCs).

Indeed I wonder why the yellow stickers with information about Super
Off-Peak evening restrictions have been stuck to SWT TVMs at places
like Vauxhall when they don't have any relevance - is it just to add
to the general confusion over fares?!

FWIW I think some of Southern's posters promoting Oyster PAYG attempt
to explain the OEP situation, but I'll try and remember to check.

Does TfL have a postal address for every Oyster TC of 1 month or more ?
Posting a leaflet to all that are not zone 1-6 or more would work.

TfL aren't exactly all that keen on the whole OEP arrangement though!
They went along with it because it what needed to be done in order to
finally get the TOCs on board for PAYG on NR.