Old March 12th 10, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default Eusless

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:28:41 +0000
Paul Terry wrote:
I think a key issues will be whether a through service to Paris could
compete with the cheap airlines on cost grounds. The report into the
failure of Regional Eurostar concluded that trains couldn't complete
with low-cost direct plane fares to Paris from regional airports. If HS2
is built, the journey times will be attractive, but my guess is that
fares will still not be competitive enough to move many away from flying
- unless, of course, air fares rise substantially, which is not
impossible.

Theres more to it than price though. A lot of people don't like flying and
find the whole airport and security experience unpleasent. Plus in the
particular case of Paris CDG its right out in the sticks and you need to get a
train or taxi into central paris anyway.

Regional eurostar was also done when people had to cross london to waterloo.
Now they could (in theory) step across the platform , or at least only walk
100 metres from which would make it a lot more attractive.

B2003