Old March 15th 10, 05:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Meeting someone at Heathrow - Where? correction to original question

"joelpk" wrote in message
I had the wrong terminals

Later this month I am flying to LHR from the US and my friend is
flying in from Saudi Arabia. Our planes are about an hour apart early
morning arrivals.

We come in at terminals3 and 4. My friend to termnal 3 and me to
terminal 4. I would like to minimize my walking

Where would be a good place to meet, especially where
there is a place to sit down (the hips are not working like they use
to). Neither of us is familiar with LHR. We want to take the
Piccadilly line to Russell Sq

Thanks to those who answered my earlier post

Thanks in advance

T3 and T4 are well separated. To walk between the two would be a major
exercise, even if you wanted to. A map to help you visualise
http://www.baa.com/assets/Internet/Heathrow/Heathrow%20downloads/Static%20files/Heathrow_Airport_Car_Parksl_JAN%202009.PDF
and the official website about getting between terminals
http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ETravel+ between+terminals/aedd3db5569a9110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

The good news is that transport inside the airport is free. So, it doesn't
matter whether you take the underground or Heathrow Connect or a bus between
terminals; it won't cost anything.

The Piccadilly line runs one way from T4 *to* T3 (part of the complex known
as the central area). To get from T3 to T4 via the Piccadilly means going
one station to Hatton Cross then getting a train back into the airport to
get to T4 *and* if you do that make sure you get the correct train from
Hatton Cross because some go to T4 and others to central area and T5. The
other way between the two is a conventional train known as "Heathrow
Connect" which runs between central area and T4 in both directions every 15
minutes. Once you get to central area station it's a bit of a hike to/from
T3.

I did mention buses but I don't really think they help but here's a map if
you want
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf

On the assumption you both have a cell phone I think what I'd do is have you
both arrive, clear customs and find somewhere to sit as soon as you can in
your respective terminal. Then establish communications and both head for
the underground (Piccadilly line). Buy your tickets to Russell Square.
The one at T4 gets into the very last coach of the train (or first it's
simply a case of establishing a rule you can both follow). The one at T3
goes to the correct end of the platform and waits. The one on the train
from T4 has to stand by a door (it's the next station) and when they open at
central area pop your head out so the other one knows where to get on (and
which train since there will be some coming from T4 and some from T5). Or
even the one on the train gets out, you meet on the platform, and get the
next train.