Old January 13th 04, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Tube train sizes and, er, other stuff

In article ,
Tom Anderson writes
How many sizes of tube train are there?

Lots.

Central line trains always feel
tiny compared to, say, circles; and it makes sense that a deep tunnel
might be smaller than a cut-and-cover; is that so?

Yes. There are two basic sizes: Tube Stock, and Sub-Surface Stock.

How come metropolitan
trains feel so much bigger than circles (as big as real trains), when they
use the same track?

A Stock on the Metropolitan is wider than C and D stock; you'll notice
it can seat five across. As such, it's restricted to certain routes. D
stock is slightly longer than C stock, and is therefore banned from
parts of the subsurface lines (notably between Edgware Road and both
Hammersmith (Met.) and High Street Ken.).

The tube trains have detail differences which are described on my web
site. For example, 1967 stock doesn't have tripcocks while 1992 stock
has "high-lift" shoegear.

Is it
because the northern half of the circle has bigger tunnels? Does that mean
one could run real trains through them?

Yes.

Is there any way to get a train
from, say, the Anglia or Great Eastern lines near Liverpool St down into
the circle?

There's no track connection at present. The connections between LU and
National Rail are listed on my web site.

Does the Thameslink tunnel stop at Moorgate?

Yes, and always did even when it wasn't a tunnel.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: