Old July 14th 03, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default The return of the LUL litter bin!

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:16:15 +0100 Dave Newt wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
}
} On 11 Jul 2003 03:26:53 -0700 umpston wrote:
} } This morning I had some rubbish to throw away and was delighted to
} } find litter bins on South Woodford station platform. I don't know how
} } long they've been there. They appear to be a new design with a
} } transparent plastic bin-bag suspended from a hoop attached to the
} } wall. This design presumably reduces the 'bombs in bins' risk, which
} } caused the removal of all the old litter bins some years ago.
}
} PAris changed all it's street bins to this design wholesale about 3
} years ago. Often wondered why London didn't do the same.
}
} Mind until that time Paris still had solid street bins and retains solid
} bins on the Metro. I suppose they're risk assesment comes in lower than
} London.
}
} Maybe some of them are back now, but certainly in Paris both the SNCF
} (train) and RATP (Métro) used shallow cardboard box-trays on the floor
} (so you could see every item) and made sure they were emptied regularly.

Nver noticed those. Usuall silver-grey (aluminium?) wall mounted bins
on the stations I used (Republique, Pte d'Italie, Chatelet-les-Halles,
Luxembourg) last trip in June. Mind you I don't use the Metro very
often, for anything less than a trip clear across town I usually walk -
all the jouneys I took last time was because I was with lazy people.
;-)

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/