Old April 9th 10, 09:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default "10-Car" South Central

MIG wrote:
Extension of platforms on South Central ("Southern" franchise) has
been mentioned in the past, and the talk is of extension to ten-car
length.

Now I am trying to reconcile this with the proposal to transfer 456s
to South Western.

Other than 455/456 combinations, what suitable units does Southern
have that could form suburban trains that could fill the extended
platforms?

3 car 377s transferred from the Brighton locals, operating in 3+3+4
formation?
That is supposedly why the ex LO 313s have been obtained by SN for use in
the Brighton area.

I remain unconvinced of the 456's usefulness with SWT though. The numbers
just don't fit if the aim is to run 10 car trains on their suburban services
either, 24 of them is only about half the number they'd need for their 455
routes. I think SN will carry on using the 456s with their own 455s...

Paul S