Old April 9th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default "10-Car" South Central

MIG wrote:
On 9 Apr, 22:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:
MIG wrote:
Extension of platforms on South Central ("Southern" franchise) has
been mentioned in the past, and the talk is of extension to ten-car
length.

Now I am trying to reconcile this with the proposal to transfer 456s
to South Western.

Other than 455/456 combinations, what suitable units does Southern
have that could form suburban trains that could fill the extended
platforms?

3 car 377s transferred from the Brighton locals, operating in 3+3+4
formation?
That is supposedly why the ex LO 313s have been obtained by SN for
use in the Brighton area.

Yes, that's why I said suitable to form suburban trains. 377/3s have
first class and 2 + 2 seating, not to mention 100 mph capability. It
would seem very odd. Better to use the 313s in south London. (Gawd,
what am I volunteering for?)

I think the seating is going to have to be altered - but surely all the 377s
are 100mph anyway? I think the logic is that with 377s already operating in
suburban areas, the only way of lengthening them is with other 377s - even
if internal alterations need to be made.

The 313s won't mutiple except with each other (that's according to my P5
book), so presumably they cannot help directly in South London?

Paul S