Old April 10th 10, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default "10-Car" South Central

On Apr 9, 10:59*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

The 313s won't mutiple except with each other (that's according to my P5
book), so presumably they cannot help directly in South London?

It was myself that advised on the EMU multiple capability in the P5
books; the 313s have proved rather difficult to pin down their ability
to mu or not with other classes.

Wisdom from public domain data before I looked into this about 4 years
back was that 313-315 were all mu capable with each other but I came
across some documents suggesting it does not work in practice. 313 are
camshaft controlled, 313/314 thyristor. The coupler pin outs and mu
cable functions are near identical but there seems to be some reason
that mating a 313 and 315 does not work. Possible they fight each
other if notching up sequence within each unit are different - rather
like the diesel 25/1 and 25/2 issue ?

That a 313 could tug a 508 is a red herring. More or less any unit can
tug another one this has zero to do with mu ability.

--
Nick