Old April 13th 10, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Jubilee Line gateline at Stratford is gone!

On Apr 13, 2:05*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 13, 1:45 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Others might be able to explain better.

Not sure I've got the energy to invent the requisite terminology at
the moment!

The Oyster card is essentially left in an ambiguous state after
touching on a validator that's configured for (what I've called)
'interchange mode' - the journey may have finished, the journey might
be continuing - if it continues and is inspected, there's no problem
as it is correctly validated. If the journey doesn't continue, the
potential for a continuing journey eventually times out.

I'll store that away - it's as good an explanation as any of how I think it
works (or worked!)...

It does kinda make my brain hurt I admit, trying to fit it all
together and then explain it in a way that does actually makes some
sense!

It's not stuff that should concern the normal passenger though (at
least that's the theory). Touching on a validator *within a paid-area*
shouldn't matter - and I did this myself last year, when I was
finishing a journey at Stratford - leaving the Jubilee line's then
extant 'internal gateline' I proceeded to touch on every standalone
validator at Stratford I could find (NLL platforms, DLR platform
entrance, Central line platforms) before exiting the main gate line -
'twas no problem. I did the same when I re-entered Stratford, and when
I left my destination station (somewhere central on the Jubilee I
think, Waterloo perhaps, but it's irrelevant) again it didn't lead to
any issues.

As ever, I find it a bit awkward discussing such things as I'm not
keen on flagging x,y or z up - but it's rather hard to discuss the
system without mentioning them. (It was around this point in a not
dissimilar previous thread where Tom Anderson marked me down as a
former Home Secretary!)