Old April 14th 10, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Structures Under London Bridge

On Apr 14, 3:45*pm, MIG wrote:
Heading across the viaduct, Charing Cross side of London Bridge
Station, one can see down to where they appear to have dug up Railway
Approach.

Four parallel arch or tunnel roofs seem to have been revealed just
below the surface.

Is this part of some former station structure, or is there some other
system of vaults below the road? *Was this area part of a built-up
embankment, similar to the one on the other side of the river?

I don't know any details, but I would have to assume that it's a part
of the station's overall structure - the roadway immediately outside
the station (that which hosts the bus station) is (or in this case
was) obviously artificially raised up. Providing vaults for whatever
uses beneath the roadway is an obvious way of making use of that
space.

As a complete aside, and one that's probably only of fleeting interest
to utl-ers, Railway Approach - when it still existed - didn't have any
parking restrictions on it at all. There wasn't space for much
parking, I never saw any free spaces during the daytime, and I have my
suspicions that one might not have been welcomed with open arms by the
regulars if one did attempt to park there, but it struck me as perhaps
being one of the most central of London streets that didn't have any
official restrictions on parking.