Old April 14th 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default Structures Under London Bridge

On 14 Apr, 18:35, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Paul Terry
writes

Could the arches have supported the horse ramp to the original London &
Greenwich terminus (bearing in mind that the ground level in the area
has risen progressively over the years?

Following-up my own post, but the following clip from an 1865 map shows
the remnants of the ramp, passing under the Charing Cross extension - it
looks like an unnamed road that continues along the original alignment
of the London & Greenwich Railway, ending in Wellington Street just
below London Bridge itself.

http://archivemaps.com/mapco/whit1865/whit44.htm

The map also shows the original buildings of St Thomas's Hospital still
standing - the Charing Cross extension crosses only a tiny part of the
site that the SER was forced to purchase in its entirety - Station
Approach was built on this site.
--
Paul Terry

I would like to have a proper look but I bet that it's all hidden by
hordings and only visible from a train on that particular track. A
hole seemed to have been drilled through one of them.

It does look as if they are close to where it says Hosp on the map.
Only short sections are exposed, so I don't know how far they go in
any direction. They would have been going across Railway Approach.