Old January 14th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TC TC is offline

Default Gate Codes + Oyster

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
I was having a lot of trouble with mine, getting 70 and 71 errors. I keep
mine in my general wallet, so between the oyster and the reader there's a
layer of fabric, a donor card, and a layer of leather; i had been bringing
it up to the reader from above (so its approach vector was normal to the
plane of the reader), but i have now changed to sliding it on (so the
vector is parallel), and i no longer get the errors. It would seem that
the radio communication system is not very powerful.

Probably on purpose. I think this is less annoying than having oyster cards
being read when unintended. I usually travel on travelcards, and have the
oyster ready for ocassional journeys and price capping (ie. I havent had a
use for it yet...) - I'd be upset if I got charged just because my wallet
was too close....

I wonder if the readers can be adjusted to different ranges?

--
TC