Old July 14th 03, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default Chancery Lane

Matthew Malthouse wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:01:34 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse writes
} } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} }
} } Nowhere flippin near it
}
} 177 meters from it.
}
} But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery
Lane rather than } Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which
it stands? }
} The current entrance to Chancery Lane is not the
station's original } entrance - it was re-sited when
escalators were installed back in the } 1930s. As I'm
sure you can appreciate, lifts go directly up and down }
and escalators don't - so a new entrance might have to be
situated quite } some distance away from the original.
This was done more recently at } Angel, where the new
entrance is about 100m away from the old entrance.

Haha! Thank you. I didn't know that the station entrance
wasn't the original, although I should have thought of it.

Are you capable?