Old July 14th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default The return of the LUL litter bin!

Matthew Malthouse wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:16:15 +0100 Dave Newt wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
}
} On 11 Jul 2003 03:26:53 -0700 umpston wrote:
} } This morning I had some rubbish to throw away and
was delighted to } } find litter bins on South Woodford
station platform. I don't know how } } long they've
been there. They appear to be a new design with a } }
transparent plastic bin-bag suspended from a hoop attached
to the } } wall. This design presumably reduces the
'bombs in bins' risk, which } } caused the removal of
all the old litter bins some years ago. } } PAris
changed all it's street bins to this design wholesale about
3 } years ago. Often wondered why London didn't do the
same. } } Mind until that time Paris still had solid
street bins and retains solid } bins on the Metro. I
suppose they're risk assesment comes in lower than }
London. }
} Maybe some of them are back now, but certainly in Paris
both the SNCF } (train) and RATP (Métro) used shallow
cardboard box-trays on the floor } (so you could see every
item) and made sure they were emptied regularly.

Nver noticed those. Usuall silver-grey (aluminium?) wall
mounted bins
on the stations I used (Republique, Pte d'Italie,
Chatelet-les-Halles, Luxembourg) last trip in June. Mind
you I don't use the Metro very
often, for anything less than a trip clear across town I
usually walk -
all the jouneys I took last time was because I was with
lazy people. ;-)

None of them were disabled I take it?