Old April 25th 10, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default The Piccadilly Line

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote on 25 April 2010 00:35:40 ...
In message
,
writes

Gwan then, I'll bite....

But my god, three months on and I am cursing the Piccadilly line
almost daily.

Why? It's a great line

It appears to me that a "Good Service" will invariably involve an
interminably slow journey between Cockfosters and Arnos Grove, an
extended pause at either Oakwood and/or Arnos Grove, or trains at
Arnos Grove that arrived after my one, departing first. Sometimes the
driver will tell you that the train that has just arrived will leave
first, but sometimes they don't. Minor Delays have seen me 15 minutes
or more late, and I dread to think what a severe delay is.

You really don't want to be there when there are severe delays

First of all, the booked time from Cockfosters to Green Park is 38
minutes; say 40 minutes for round figures. I would suggest that your
journey is rarely longer than 45 minutes and more often than not, closer
to the 38/40 minutes booked. I have not recently had any days when I've
been more than a couple of minutes late at any point.

I'm not surprised; 38 minutes is 5 minutes slower than it was in 1972.

The journey from Cockfosters to Arnos is a bit of a chore sometimes.
During the morning peak (and leading up to it) you will have trains
coming in to service from Cockfosters (east end), Cockfosters (west end)
and reversers at Arnos Grove, all to get the 28 trains per hour through
the centre section.

A mere 24 trains per hour currently. You ought to be able to manage 28
IMHO. In fact you had a 27 tph timetable a few years ago, and I never
had a credible explanation of why it was abandoned. I fail to see why
the Picc can't do better than 24 tph when the District/Circle does 28
despite the extra complications of its network.

--
Richard J.