Old April 25th 10, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bearded[_2_] Bearded[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Belgian Coast tram

Couldn't agree more. A real hidden secret.

Shame that the Ramsgate ferry doesn't carry foot passengers. But maybe
now they have been taken over by L Dreyfus that will change.

And with the new high speed trains to Kent, it would make a great
weekend or overnight mini-cruise.

Why don't they copy Brittany Ferries, out of season sailings from
Portsmouth are packed with mini-cruisers and weekenders who spend £££
in the bars and restaurants on board and at their destination ports.

Don't forget, folks, that you CAN'T buy a E* ticket to Brussels. It's a
ticket to any station in Belgium. So you can play "let's pretend we're
on the riviera" for trip to Knokke, or just head to Ooostende and
stroll along the beach with the sand in your toes.

Not forgetting the healthy Belgian lunch - beer/frites mayo/beer!
Seriously... Oostende has some of the best fish and seafood you can
find anywhere.

On 2010-04-25 09:05:24 +0100, Paul Corfield said:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:47:14 +0100, Bearded wrote:

I know it's OT, but suspect some here will be interested in news of the
Belgian coast tram, De Kusttram.

The longest tramway in the world at 67km - and yes it's a real tram,
steel rails, overhead power - celebrated its 125th birthday last
weekend.

We did the whole length both ways north from Ooostende to Knokke and
back, then south to De Panne /Andinkerke.

[snip]
The route is interesting. It provides the main transport link between
Ostend and the other coastal towns - Blankenberge [seaside], Zeebrugge
and our personal favourite, Knokke. [If you saw our pix from last
Sunday you would think you were on the French riviera - beach cafes,
sunbeds, the lot. And much nearer than Cannes!]

Oh it's a lovely line and Oostende and the seaside to the south is
smashing on a fine sunny day. A real hidden secret for many Brits - I
once had to convince someone in the office to try a weekend visit. They
were very reluctant but full of thanks and surprise when they got back!

It used to be easy to do it in a day when what is now South Eastern ran
trains from Victoria to Dover and there was a Jetfoil that whizzed
across the channel to Oostende. Very cheap with a good timetable - you
easily do a day trip to Brugges in Summer with daylight the whole way.

--
Writer / editor on London's River