Old April 27th 10, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Underground station name abbreviations

In message of Tue, 27 Apr 2010
14:31:56 in uk.transport.london, Steve Fitzgerald ]
writes
In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
I decided to start a new thread rather than make the original wander.

In message of Sun, 25 Apr 2010
00:35:40 in uk.transport.london, Steve Fitzgerald ]
writes

[snip]

have a timetable that has a fair bit of recovery in it, CFS trains
often arrive before the reverser departs - not helped by the signalling
which doesn't allow potentially conflicting moves.

Steve,
In your posting, you use CFS as a three letter abbreviation (TLA) for
Cockfosters and you later use AGR for Arnos Grove. You are naturally
familiar with the TLAs for stations on the Piccadilly Line. There is a
set of TLAs for all lines in the source code of Live Departure Boards at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/departureboards/.
That set is incomplete. Are you able to supply abbreviations for the
missing stations? I use a lower case TLA where I have no information.

[snip]

I am told that there are no official TLAs and that different parts of
the organisation use different ones.

I may have been told that after a question remained dormant for 2.5
months. I found the response as opaque as others find my questions.

For example, we use AGR train side for Arnos Grove but Tubelines (being
the former Infrastructure part) use ARG. There are a few other
oddities that schedules use such as HRV (For Terminal 5; think Roman
numerals) and HRF (for Terminal 4). We've always used HRC for 123 (the
old Heathrow Central you see) but I think schedules used just 123.

Departure boards is consistent with you in all cases you mention.

I've no idea of any of the TLAs used off the Piccadilly although I can
ask around and see if anyone knows.

I would appreciate that.
--
Walter Briscoe